I would love to see this movie. I will have to wait for the DVD, but I think it sounds very intriguing and I can't wait to see the romance. What? Romance. I meant all that cooking of the meals so that I'll sit there with my mouth watering and wondering why I didn't have the gift of chef :)
The story line though familiar, sounds entertaining and I'm sure they'll have a few surprises. And to top it off it's French! Whooot!
Of course I will have to try this recipe: Let me know if you give it a cook!
Gratin Dauphinois - The Hundred-Foot Journey
1.5L/1 1/2 qt Milk Freshly Grounded pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg 120g/ 4pz Grated Gruyere cheese
1 pc Bouquet garni Unsalted Butter, or softened for gratin dish
2 Cloves garlic Salt and pepper
165mL / 5 1/2 oz Heavy cream
1.2kg/ 2 1/2 lbs Potatoes, firm-fleshed
1. Preheat the oven to 190C (380F)
2. Coat a deep, ovenproof dish with softened butter and reserve in the refrigerator
3. Combine the milk, freshly grated nutmeg, bouquet garni, and garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the liquid to a boil, remove it from the heat, and leave it to infuse for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, wash and peel the potatoes and slice them thinly, about 1/8" / 3mm. Do not rinse the potatoes as the starch is needed.
Layer the potato slices tightly in the buttered dish and season each new layer with salt and pepper.
5. Stir the cream into the hot milk then pour through a fine mesh sieve onto the potatoes. Let rest for 1 to 2 minutes. The potatoes will absorb the liquid and the level will decrease. Top up with the remaining liquid. Repeat until all the milk mixture is used. Season the top and sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Cover the dish with buttered parchment paper and foil.
6. Place it in the oven to cook for 1 hour or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
7. Remove the foil and parchment paper and return the dish to the oven to brown until the surface is golden.
8. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Colette is a busy mom of 2 kids focusing solely on being a mom. She hails from the Caribbean and now balances the full life of being a SAHM and dabbling in odd jobs to help around the home. She enjoys sharing her memories, hopes, food, travel, entertainment, and product experiences on her blog. Please read my disclosure