“The Hundred-Foot Journey” abounds with flavors that burst across the tongue. A stimulating triumph over exile, blossoming with passion and heart, with marjoram and madras, it is a portrayal of two worlds colliding and one boy’s drive to find the comfort of home, in every pot, wherever he may be.
Soupe a l'oignon - French Onion Soup
2lb 3oz Onions, sliced
5 1/4 oz Unsalted Butter
2 oz Flour
8 oz Dry white wine
1 1/2 qt. Water
1 pc Bouquet garni
1 3/4 oz Glace de viande (optional), for color and flavor
Salt and white pepper
1/2 pc French baguette, sliced
3 1/4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
3 1/4 oz Butter, clarified
4 fl. oz Heavy cream (optional)
1 oz Port wine (optional)
3 1/2 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Peel the onions, remove the roots, and slice thinly. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions until soft and lightly colored.
3. Add the flour and cook until it starts to take on some color (1 to 2 minutes).
4. Deglaze with white wine and allow the liquid to reduce by half before adding the water. Add the bouquet garni, season to taste, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and leave to cook for 45 minutes.
Optional: Add some glace de viande for more color.
5. Slice the baguette and lightly toast it in the oven, then lightly butter the top side of each slide and sprinkle with cheese. Place the bread back in the oven until the cheese is just melted but not colored.
6. Set aside.
7. Remove the bouquet garni from the soup and discard.
Optional: Whisk the port wine into the cream and ladle some hot soup into the cream to temper. Off the heat, stir the cream back into the hot soup.
Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls.
Top with croutons to completely cover.
Sprinkle with more cheese. Arrange the bowls on a baking sheet. Place the tray under a broiler or salamander until the cheese is browned.
2. Serve Immediately.
The movie comes out in August! Put it on your calendar!
Recipe from DreamWorks Pictures.
Colette is a busy mom of 2 kids focusing solely on being a mom. She hails from the Caribbean and now balances the full life of being a SAHM and dabbling in odd jobs to help around the home. She enjoys sharing her memories, hopes, food, travel, entertainment, and product experiences on her blog. Please read my disclosure